Program Director, Psychologist
Assistant Professor, Emory University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics
Joanna Lomas Mevers, PhD, BCBA, is Program Director of the Severe Behavior Program, the School Consultation Program and the Crisis Prevention Program at Marcus Autism Center. She is also an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at Emory University School of Medicine.
Dr. Lomas Mevers received her doctorate in school psychology from Louisiana State University under the mentorship of Jeffery Tiger, PhD, and George Noell, PhD. She completed her pre-doctoral internship and post-doctoral fellowship at Marcus Autism Center and Emory University under the supervision of Nathan Call, PhD.
Dr. Lomas Mevers has more than 18 years’ experience working with children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and related developmental disabilities. Specifically, her work focuses on the assessment and treatment of severe problem behavior. She treats some of the most challenging cases in the country. Dr. Lomas Mevers specializes in toilet training individuals with developmental disabilities. Her work has led to the development of a novel multidisciplinary treatment for encopresis. Along with her colleagues at Marcus Autism Center, she is currently conducting a four-year clinical trial to evaluate the effectiveness of this intervention.
In addition to her work at Marcus Autism Center, Dr. Lomas Mevers is involved with the Georgia Association of Behavior Analysis, a professional organization that supports behavior analysts throughout the state. She is a former president of the organization and currently serves on its advisory board.
Dr. Lomas Mevers’ current research interests include development of effective toileting interventions for urine and bowel training, increasing the social validity of behavioral interventions, increasing efficiencies in caregiver training and identifying treatment components that are essential to maintaining positive long-term treatment outcomes.
- Álvarez, J.P., Call, N.A., & Lomas Mevers, J.E. (2014). Increasing the Social Validity of Function-Based Treatments for Problem Behavior. Acta de Investigación Psicológica, 4, 1683-1700.
- Call, N.A., Clark, S.B., Lomas Mevers, J.E., Parks, N.A., Volkert, V.M., & Scheithauer, M.C. (2018). An individualized Method for Establishing and Thinning Multiple Schedules of Reinforcement Following Functional Communication Training. Learning and Motivation, 62, 91-102.
- Call, N.A., Simmons, C.A., Lomas Mevers, J.E., & Alvarez, J.P. (2015). Clinical Outcomes of Behavioral Treatments for Pica in Children with Developmental Disabilities. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 45 (7), 2105-2114.
- Call, N.A., Delfs, C.H., Reavis, A.R., & Lomas Mevers, J.E. (2015). Factors Influencing Treatment Decisions By Parents For Their Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, 15-16, 10-20.
- Call, N.A., & Lomas Mevers, J.E. (2014). The Relative Influence of Motivating Operations For Positive and Negative Reinforcement On Problem Behavior During Demands. Behavioral Interventions, 29, 4-20.
- Hodnett, J., Scheithauer, M., Call, N.A., Mevers, J.L., & Miller, S.J. (2018). Using a Functional Analysis Followed by Differential Reinforcement and Extinction to Reduce Challenging Behaviors in Children With Smith-Magenis Syndrome. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 123 (6), 558-573.
- Lomas Mevers, J.E., Noell, G.H., Scheithauer, M., Miller, S., Alvarez, J.P., & Fischer, A.J. (2018). The impact of stimulus preference, order-effects, and treatment component omission in evaluating treatment integrity. Journal of School Psychology, 69, 45-55.
- Lomas Mevers, J., Muething, C., Call, N. A., Scheithauer, M., & Hewett, S. (2018). A Consecutive Case Series Analysis of a Behavioral Intervention For Enuresis in Children With Developmental Disabilities. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 21(5), 336-344.
- Lomas Mevers, J.E., Call, N.A., & Miller, S.J. (2017). Practice Recommendations for Addressing Problem Behaviors in Siblings with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Behavior Analysis in Practice, 10 (4), 363-374.
- Lomas Mevers, J.E., Fisher, W.W., Kelley, M.E., & Fredrick, L.D. (2014). The Effects of Variable-Time Versus Contingent Reinforcement Delivery on Problem Behavior Maintained By Escape. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 47 (2), 277-292.
- Muething, C.S., Call, N.A., Lomas Mevers, J.E., Zangrillo, A.N., Clark, S.B., & Reavis, A.R. (2017). Correspondence Between the Results of Functional Analyses and Brief Functional Analyses. Developmental Neurorehabilitation, 20 (8), 549-559.
- Noell, G.H., Gansle, K.A., Lomas Mevers, J.E., Knox, R.M., Mintz, J.C., & Dahir, A. Improving Treatment Plan Implementation in Schools: A Meta-Analysis of Single Subject Design Studies. Journal of Behavioral Education, 23, 168-191.
- Scheithauer, M., Call, N., Lomas Mevers, J.E., & Scahill, L. (2018). A Feasibility Randomized Clinical Trial (RCT) of a Manualized Intervention Targeting Elopement (Running Away) in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. JARID, 31, 564-564.
- Scheithauer, M. C., Lomas Mevers, J.E., Call, N.A., & Shrewsbury, A.N. (2017). Using a Test for Multiply-Maintained Self Injury to Develop Function-Based Treatments. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 29, 443 - 460.
- Lomas Mevers, J., & Call., N. A. (2018). Bootcamp on the assessment and treatment of severe problem behavior. Presented at Naked Heart Foundation, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Lomas Mevers, J. (2018). A current state of behavioral interventions for problem behavior: Best practices and current research. Presented at Marcus Autism Center Summer Symposium, Atlanta, GA.
- Lomas Mevers, J. (2018) A comprehensive evaluation of a practical functional assessment model. Presented at the 44th Annual Convention for the Association for Behavior Analysis International, San Diego, CA.
- Lomas Mevers, J., & Call, N. A. (2018) Assessment and treatment of severe problem behavior and toilet training. Presented at Naked Heart Foundation, St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Lomas Mevers, J. (2017) A behaviorally-based toilet training for school-aged children with ASD. Presented at the 2017 Georgia Autism Providers Conference, Jekyll Island, GA.
- Lomas Mevers, J. (2016) Treatment of encopresis for individuals with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental delays. Presented at Relias Academy, NC.
- Lomas Mevers, J. (2016) Behavioral skills training to teach assessment and intervention strategies to allied professionals and parents. Presented at the 42nd Annual Convention for the Association for Behavior Analysis International, Chicago, IL.
- Lomas Mevers, J. (2015) Assessment and treatment of severe problem behavior. Presented at Marcus Autism Center Summer Symposium, Atlanta, GA.
- Lomas Mevers, J., Call, N. A., Alvarez, J., Scheithauer, M., Miller, S., Bamford, D., Autry, K., & Cawthon, F. (2014) Maintaining social validity while treating problem behavior exhibited by individuals with developmental disabilities. Presented at the 7th Annual Georgia Association for Behavior Analysis Conference, Atlanta, GA.